GRASSROOTS is an ecumenical Christian charity based in Luton. For 25 years we have worked to build healthy relationships among all faiths, to promote fair trade, and challenge intolerance and extremism. We are supported by the mainstream churches in the region, by the Church Urban Fund through the Near Neighbours programme, and by other charitable funds. We work closely with Luton Council of Faiths and with Ghar se Ghar (Hindi/Urdu words meaning Home to Home), a women’s cooperative group. Further information about the charity is available at www.grassrootsluton.org.uk.
We are seeking a volunteer to join the Board of Trustees and act as Treasurer to replace the current treasurer who has served for 11 years. The key role of the Treasurer would be:
- As a member of the Board of Trustees, to participate in the governance and general direction of the charity. There are three formal meetings a year (daytime) including the AGM.
- To monitor the financial position and keep the trustees informed of risks.
- To liaise with the auditors on the preparation of the annual accounts in accordance with charity accounting requirements.
- To advise the trustees and staff on financial matters.
The retiring treasurer has offered to continue keeping the books for the time being, but would be willing to hand over to the new treasurer if appropriate. The records are kept on a simple Excel spreadsheet and are written up 3 - 4 times a year by a visit to the office.
The qualities we are particularly seeking are:
- Sympathy with the aims and objectives of the charity.
- Familiarity with the role of charity trustees.
- Ability to communicate financial matters clearly to non-specialists.
- General familiarity with the layout and content of charity accounts.
To apply, or for an informal discussion, please contact the Co-ordinator, David Jonathan (Johny) at firstname.lastname@example.org or 01582 416946, or the current treasurer, Gordon Slater, at email@example.com (please note there is an underscore after "slater") or 020 7262 9954.